Three new wash plants were designed, fabricated, installed and commissioned by Brolton Group for Sydney Trains.
The design included:
· Wash indication system
· Spray Arches
· Brushes and brush arms
· Filtration systems
· Train approach detection systems
· Restoration of the existing wash plant sheds including pressure cleaning, painting and re-sheeting
· Process tanks
Sydney Trains Fleet Maintenance Division has four Sydney-based train washing plants located at Mortdale, Flemington, Hornsby and Sydenham. The first three are used to wash electric trains and the last (Sydenham) is used to wash the diesel passenger fleet. All four plants have issues due to their age, condition and design.
The project objective was to renew the life-expired train washing plants, rectify areas of non-compliance relating to the plant and automate the wash sequence to allow for increased train wash frequencies.
The existing train wash plants were constructed in the 1970’s and were life expired. They were removed and disposed of leaving basically only the building, some in-ground tanks, the track and the overhead wiring. A new wash plant and control system was supplied, installed and maintained at each site. The wash plants were renewed sequentially to minimise the disruption to the on-going washing of trains.
The completion of this project created positive outcomes and benefits for Sydney Trains, including:
- Renewal of aging equipment
- Legislative compliance – Environmental, elimination of manual handling
- Staffing requirements – Automation allowed operators to be redeployed to other duties
- Increased use of recycled water
- Automation which allowed a higher frequency of train washes
Brolton Group designed, fabricated, installed and commissioned three new train wash plants for Sydney Trains.
The design included:
- Wash indication system
- Spray Arches
- Brushes and brush arms
- Filtration systems
- Train approach detection systems
- Restoration of the existing wash plant sheds including pressure cleaning, painting and re-sheeting
- Process tanks